The medicinal springs of Innichen
The medicinal springs in the spa between Innichen and Sexten are one of the reasons why tourism started in the village. The spa is mentioned for the first time in 1586, but it goes back to Roman times. The luxurious Grand Hotel, which is now unfortunately a ruin, was built in 1856 by the Hungarian doctor Johann Graf Scheiber and attracted nobles and citizens of the Austro-Hungarian Empire until the First World War.
There are five springs here, some of which are exploited commercially: Kaiserwasser, Lavaredo, Schwefelquelle, Eisenquelle and Candida. The name “Kaiserwasser” refers to three emperors who benefited from it during their stay: the Austrian emperor Charles and the German emperors William and Frederick III. The Kaiserwasser spring, which is bottled as mineral water, is suitable for treating gastric ulcers and kidney stones.
Lavaredo is suitable for treating gastritis; if the water of Schwefelquelle is used for bathing it helps alleviate arthritis problems and gynaecological complaints whereas if it is inhaled it combats asthma, bronchitis and skin diseases; Eisenquelle, from the water of the Sant’Antonio spring, possesses properties that are good for feelings of faintness, muscular cramp and female complaints.